Monday, June 6, 2011

Requested Tolerance

Under the hot North Richmond sun last Saturday I had a conversation that I've been involved with for possibly the past 5 years.  A group of us were participating in a RRHA event that allowed us to meet and greet many community residents, leaders, and pseudo-politicians; as well as hear the terrific talents of the city's youth and the unintended humor of the events' master of ceremony.  As associated with the [relative] ignorance of the traditional Baptist, the MC hit us with unforgettable terms such as "Ms. Barak" and statements like "Adam told his children to get to work after he was kicked out of the garden (contrarily, scripture details that Adam didn't have kids when he got banned from the garden of Eden)".  Still, she kept it as Christian as she could.  In between her remarks were performances from a youth choir and a men's quartet that furthered the notion of celebrating Jesus.  Around the time the quartet came on, one of my associates said something like, "I don't like it when people shove Jesus down my throat."  I was not at all surprised that a Christian would say that, as I know of several elders who proclaim that we shouldn't "beat people over the head with the Bible."  I also know of other Christians who seem to feel the same way.  So while it's not shocking, it is hard for me to understand. 

I had a friend that introduced me to a Christian hip-hop act some years back.  He thought they were a pretty dope group because they didn't overwhelm listeners with their Christian doctrine, which I thought was a little contradictory.  I can understand that most things can turn dry when they become excessive.  I also understand that excess is relative to the consumer.  So it is interests me that a single Christian woman can listen to a Trey Songs CD that promotes sex (infidelity, lack of monogamy, etc.) cover to cover and not be overwhelmed.  Most hip-hop heads, including myself, can listen to Ready to Die/Notorious B.I.G. cover to cover, back to back without being overwhelmed.  This is an album that speaks of depression, hopelessness, the need for crime, and death throughout the whole work.  Still I never hear any of these folks say (many who now have a deeper relationship with Jesus than they did when Big came out) Biggie overwhelms me with negativity.  My associate I spoke of previously can listen to Caribbean music for an entire 8 hour shift and not be overwhelmed.  And like I said earlier, there are church leaders who fear being overwhelmed with scripture.  What is it about Christ that gives these Christians an overwhelming feeling?

What must be remembered in this topic is that Christians are people first.  And most people want what they want when they want it.  Sadly, there are Christians that don't want Christ all of the time, but they do when they want Him--or frankly, when He's convenient or 'appropriate'.  You know, we want Jeezy in the club but we want Jesus if we get shot in the club.  This is where the old saying 'if you scared, go to church' comes from.  Pagan's (those who worship many things: money, status, etc.) recognized that if one was to ever get in a situation that struck a cord of fear, Jesus is a good way to ease that fear.  However, what this pagan philosophy does not address is the ideal of acknowledging Christ in all things.  This makes sense for pagans, but not for Christians.  Especially when Jesus describes in Matthew 7 that the 'Christians' that do all their Christian stuff in church will be rejected from Him in the end.  He will actually tell them "I never knew you.  Away from me you evil doers (Matthew 7:22)."  I pass no judgment on any one, but this implies that the convenient Christian is no Christian at all.

Now does this say that I want to hear Kirk Franklin all the time?  Not hardly, but it does say that the Word should be the forefront of my thinking; and this includes my thoughts on what I consider entertainment.  Am I suggesting that I don't sin at all because I have Christ on my mind as I move forward?  I seriously doubt it, but I should make every attempt not to sin in order to continue to be in the good will of God.  To do this, one thing I should do is ensure that my communication with Him is stronger than it is with my business associates, my friends, and my family.  Therefore, I should be in tune with Him at the block party just like I am at the worship center.  It's only common sense to know that through Him all of the joy of these things were provided anyway.  How could I be overwhelmed with hearing of the promises from the One who blesses me abundantly?  Can't I use some more revelation of God's grace?  Can't you? 

What this really boils down to is what is in a persons' heart or what his true make-up is.  If a person loves R&B, the Redskins, food, their job, or anything else more than the Lord; they don't have to speak for or against that, because it will show plainly (Matthew 6:21).  And again, I am not one to judge anyone on their relationship with Christ.  But if you consider yourself a person saved by the blood of Jesus, and you find yourself saying that  you don't want  the only real thing there is being "shoved down your throat", you may need to get with yourself on some serious meditation.  Yes, no one wants to be in two services a Sunday each Sunday, but every Christian should never be hesitant to acknowledge to goodness of the Lord, where ever they may be or whoever they talk to.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment