Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Ankle Weights

Right around my 80th work I had an inkling that this would happen; because it has before.  Early mornings after prayer was spent gazing into my bathroom mirror, convincing myself that my growth had conquered my statistics that defined my history.  I rested on the fact that I was breezing through a fantastic phase of creation; nurturing my own confidence while educating friends, associates, and enemies...en route to number 100.  But the monsters again appeared.  Procrastination emptied my stomach of substance while falsely satisfying my hunger.  The dark images of yesteryear proved to be an overrated distraction; but still was an effective counterattack to the goal.  And I sat in a disgusting but familiar state of incompleteness...mental sandbags tied around my legs, restraining my progress...resting on work 99. 

Christian or not, the greatest [insert occupation here] are not created from extraordinary talent, intelligence, or ability.  However, it's their persistence to the craft that separates them from being capable to conquerors.  Of course a person starts with some measure of ability or talent; but being successful is not an automatic response of being talented.  In the same light, being saved from eternal damnation is not necessarily related with achievement on earth.  If that was the case, the entertainment industry and much of the banking, government, and big business world would be non-existent.  Undoubtedly, those who have no regard for the Almighty God have a clear understanding of the principles of hustlin' that are outlined in the Book of Proverbs. 

But somehow, we sanctified cats shove those lessons aside and put the responsibility of "making it" on Jesus.  Instead of getting up earlier than our competitors in business, we show up late to the office; and have the nerve to [literally] anoint the door posts with oil.  While the evil vocalists are spending hours (and money) in a studio to perfect their sound; our worship leaders barely can stay focused in a 90 minute practice....and then will declare that the Holy Spirit will move on Sunday.  Us "free in Christ" folks willingly strap ourselves with weights; making careful efforts not to be determined to excel.

The saving grace that was gifted from Jesus' death and resurrection was never intended to be an excuse for not striving to be outstanding.  In fact, it's purpose [in this regard] was to add to the hard work a person does and multiply the results in an incredible fashion that is superior to that persons non-believing contemporaries with equally physicall and mental abilities (John 14:12).  With this knowledge, those of us who are Believers should not only work hard to attain the achievement, we should labor as if we are already harvesting the rewards....because we are.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment