Monday, May 5, 2014

The Best Birthday Ever

This past Saturday I woke up to the beauty of my safely sleeping family.  The brightness of the early May morning seemed to give me a little more pep, and the feeling that comes with only a few hours of sleep quickly disappeared.  I was calm and reflective, even though I was running late for my first engagement of the day.  The car-less streets made up for my tardiness and I made it on time; from the car seat to the church door straight to work.  Slight issues with the equipment were easily handled; I took my position in the sound booth directing the media and visuals, and 250 or so people squeezed together to worship and pray to The Lord God.  To date, it was my best birthday ever.

I've taken my birthday off from work, school, whatever...ever since turning 19.  It was like my once a year Sabbath that I actually would joke about it being a national holiday; and I made it a point to do whatever I wanted.  This year though is my daughter's 1st birthday, and it's only a week behind mine. The day she was born I had the welcomed feeling knowing my birthday celebration would change...and it did, but not for the reasons I thought.

"Whoever desires to become great among you let him first be your servant...just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve...".  These words from Jesus recorded in Matthew 20 are a far cry from the self-serving attitude that consumes music, media, government, sports, and religion these days.  It doesn't match the "blessing with my name on it" theme; it doesn't support God's favor not being fair.  It's based in acknowledging that the blessings we receive are designed to bless others, and then demonstrating that acknowledgment.  It means that the success that we covet so much is, yes available because of Grace, but is fulfilled through servitude.  And in past years, though I sought to be entertained as if some sort of monarch, this year I saw God do something different...something that was peacefully revolutionary.  I was blessed to labor for His Glory on the day I was born.

I'm sure many of you around the world have willingly donated time and resources on your birthday; never realizing that you had accepted one of the best birthday presents you could get.  My selfishness shielded  all of this knowledge from me, so I'm humbled to now join the ranks of you all.  And if it wasn't for the purpose of sharing such a valuable lesson I learned, my humility would not allow me to write this...so please, don't view this work as a pat on the back.  Rather, see my words as in the same light as I did...when I chose to wait on the people of God...and experienced the learning of my entire purpose.

Peace
















No comments:

Post a Comment