Monday, December 15, 2014

How Christmas Would Look If It Was About Christ

I got asked to play music for church Christmas party coming up this week.  I got a solid order to play only Christmas music for the party...to keep the spirit of the holiday flowing.  Now in my mind, I'm thinking every Christian song I have in my phone is a Christmas song...being that they talk about Jesus and all...so I'm good.  But that's not the case; and with singing holy holy holy I need to spin a little ho ho ho too.  Unfortunately for them, I'm pooping on that party.  Not on purpose, but my track record on pagan holiday celebrations speaks for itself; and if jingle bells are heard it'll probably be when I'm in the bathroom.


This is the time of year where all the unemployed and financially stressed Christians get real historical and smart about Christmas.  They don't see a reason to buy or eat or give a thing.  So what if they're homosexual alcoholics who cheat on their taxes and don't even have a Bible app on their phones, the Believers with the Christmas trees and the ugly sweaters are the real sinners.  And to support their thoughts you'll probably hear a thousand times that Jesus is the reason for the season from people that'll hold off on their tithes to get their kids video games.  I mean, this whole thing is all over the place and Christmas has seemed to do that to people....make logic out of the illogical.  Makes you kinda wonder what it would be like if Christians fully celebrated Jesus at Christmas.

Not saying that you or your family doesn't celebrate the birth of Jesus...but exactly how does that look?  What has the Bible outlined as a God-ordained Christmas celebration....or you just gonna slap "whatever you do, do unto the glory of the Lord (1 Corinthians 10:31)" on that?  I guess that can work....but I believe we call all safely say that this is one area where we're just fine doing what God hasn't said to do.  So for starters, if Christians fully celebrated Jesus at Christmas, we wouldn't celebrate Christmas at all...because we weren't commanded to do so.  Contrarily, we are all commanded to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:20)...but we tend to leave that up to the pastor.  I digress...

But let's say we keep our tradition of celebrating evil and good at the same time.  Should we not buy gifts for our family members?  Should we not eat huge dinners?  Should we not watch Charlie Brown Christmas?  And instead, should we give a meal to a less-fortunate family?  Should we volunteer at a clothing ministry or soup kitchen?  Should we donate clothes and shoes to the Salvation Army?  I would say yeah....but then I would say, why are we waiting for Christmas to do this...when Jesus intended for our spreading of His saving grace to be continuous?

Look, if you like it I love it.  But I think it's about time for all of us Spirit-filled Believers to admit that we aren't celebrating Christmas to just celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ; because it seriously makes no literal, historical, and most importantly Biblical sense to say that we are.  Let's all get real and say we like the family time, the trees, the lights, the drinks, and the parties.  We like the way America does it and we like that we get to live in America so when we need loose religious standards, we can get them.  The only thing I would say though...
that feeling you get when you wanna bless everyone around Christmas time, keep that all year round.  Now go get you some eggnog and stare at the Christmas tree you're not worshiping.

Peace  

No comments:

Post a Comment