Friday, August 2, 2013

Embrace Compliance

My dad used to watch the reruns of Gomer Pyle USMC faithfully when I was a kid; and I loved it.  Outside of sports and cartoons, there wasn't too much that came on the tube that I enjoyed more than Gomer Pyle.  It also had me wanting to get down with the Marines.  Because as a child, when you see G.I. Joe whuppin' evil with ease for 30 minutes daily; and then you see how much fun Private Pyle was having at his base, you can't help but to think the military is the place to be.  That's until you realize that a small percentage of both of those programs were real; and they neglect to show a grown man yelling instructions at you for about 10 weeks.  Didn't take long for me to understand any branch of the military wasn't for me...merely because I had a huge problem with compliance and being disciplined if I didn't see any logic in it.

Unfortunately, this issue didn't disappear when I rededicated my life to Jesus Christ later in life.  As a matter of fact it got somewhat worse.  Being a young adult with a decent job, above reasonable physical wellness, a little money, and a healthy (or unhealthy, depending on your perspective) relationship(s) with the ladies...I viewed discipline only in the regards of responsible drinking and safe sex.  Although the values were well instilled and remembered, complying with the guidelines derived from those values (which were based on the Word of God) was something I chose not to do.  Obviously, this level of thinking led me to operate in a state of insanity; as I wanted to receive extraordinary, tangible blessings...yet I continued in the behavior adverse to the commands from the One who issues the blessings.

I had to become familiar with the lost art of obedience; as it is a matter of life or death.  Now...because submitting to any human (unless they payin') is unpopular in American civilization, we must assume it's harder to submit to written principles and rules given by an invisible authority.  But honest effort to live in obedience to God is THE component to fruitfulness and everlasting life.  So while your preacher will have you believe simply calling on the name of Jesus sees you straight, Jesus himself says that there will be boatloads of people who will do just that, but He won't even acknowledge them and will order them out of his presence (Matthew 7:21-23).  You gotta think, if Jesus' Himself pushes people away who claimed to work under His Name, how did that happen and how can I avoid that...since I be calling on Jesus' Name all the time?

Whether praying to the Lord God constantly or praying only when in trouble, doing or not doing what God says in His Word and in your heart (if it lines up with His Word) could be the direct link to victory; or delayed or non-existent deliverance.  And consider this: on fire and lukewarm Christians both know that God is the giver of all perfect gifts.  So if we know this, wouldn't the most basic thought be to run to do what He says to always be in the receiving line?  Well, we know how common sense goes.

When it gets quiet, maybe you should really listen to what God wants you to do and what He's telling you to drop or stop.  Then read about it in the Bible to get it clear.  Odds are you already have a pretty good idea of what it is already, but.....

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment