Monday, February 24, 2014

Be the Man...Just 'Cause

This guy I know actually showed me a picture of a purse he got his wife...like, right out the blue.  Without prompt, not even having a conversation about our wives or women's handbags, and no request from me, he tapped me on the shoulder and said "I had to jump out the window on Valentines Day".  Our relationship is casual at best, and most of our conversations revolve around sports.  But that day, that pic must've been burning a hole in his smart phone.  Thankfully for me, I've grown to be mature enough to honor his willingness to show pride for his wife; but probably, it was an attempt to let me know he was the man.



Rico from the movie Paid in Full said it best...."some people wanna be the man just 'cause."  Just to be talked about, just to be seen.  This is where the YouTube phase comes from.  It's a big reason why selfies are taken.  For some of us it's just as simple as that, but for others the desire to be viewed and remembered for something great is what drives "being seen."  As a matter of fact, that first wave of pride that comes from someone else's approval is a feeling that many spend their lives attempting to duplicate or build on.  And that, that right there, has been battering talented and driven Christians for years.

My pastor, Dr. Dimitri Bradley, has advised against what he would define as "marrying a ministry."  His support of that lies in the fact that the ministry in itself doesn't belong to a person, but to God.  Jesus' thoughts validate this even in His ministry; as He says in John 5:30 "by myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear.  Therefore, my judgement is just, because I carry out the will of the One who sent Me."  While noble and respectful, I don't believe just because it's The Lords' is the only reason Christ lived like this.  I think it's also used as a method to keep pride away, especially when praise is certainly due because of personal, far-reaching accomplishments.

You warriors for Christ our there, you spirit-filled leaders of a sub-ministry at your church, you wanna know if you're doing what you're doing for God to be glorified or for you to be the man?  Then record the way you act when or if you're asked to move in another direction or to serve in another sub-ministry.  Because while you've built strong programs, executed outstanding plans, and lead people to Christ, you need to consider these questions:  Was it all for your glory?  Did the notoriety of being known to others as a powerful layman for God become more thrilling, more consuming, then God Himself?  If not, you might not leave that church so quickly; or you might continue to donate alternative resources (uhh...money) to that same work.  And you might not be bitter.  But if so you might do or be one or all of these things.  All upset that you're no longer the man.

Fact is you were never the man in the first place.  And as important as it is to hear from God when to get on a job, it's equally important to be able to hear when He wants us off one.  Our willingness to do this speaks volumes about how we view our Divine relationship; because when working so others can admonish Christ...we sometimes build an altar to ourselves, in Jesus' Name.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment