Monday, July 21, 2014

Brutal Law

Yep...I am in that statistic.  The one that talks about how many black men will be harassed by police officers in their lifetime.  Oh, and I'm also in the one that's for the number of black men that will be beaten by police officers.  I'm in that one twice.  So you can understand that for a period of time, I believed that this was the reality concerning the relationship between police officers and young African-American men....that police are evil and are sent to beat up black boys.  Interestingly enough, it's said that to help deal with rising crime from blacks and Hispanics in Los Angeles during the 1950s and 60s that L.A. police officials recruited in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Virginia, and other southeastern states; hoping to bring on people who knew how to beat up black boys - so my mind frame wasn't that far-fetched.  'Cause you know, as I used to say "pigs be hatin'".  Never did I consider that there was anything I did or didn't do to make the hate grow more intense.

Years before my first beating from the police (courtesy of the Petersburg (Va.) Police Department) I was one of the millions of pre-teens engulfed with the promoted realities of many older teens in Southern California via N.W.A.  And my privileged self was right along with them yelling "F%#@ tha police".  Yet when I was attacked years later, I didn't consider my mimicking of Compton rappers a declaration of my disrespect as well as an invitation for violence.  I couldn't connect the dots after making a [somewhat] threatening gesture to the security that I may be a part of the problem.  Nope, all I thought was that these cops were wrong in assaulting me.  And even though they were, I couldn't look inside to see what part I played in the situation.  And so before I even did anything illegal, as well as during a life of questionable citizenship, I only viewed the powers that be as the evil doers; when I myself was promoting evil.

But....I.....hated....police.  So much so, when I would hear on the news that officers were killed in the line of duty, my heart celebrated.  And for the surviving family members?  My thoughts were shouldn't have married/birthed/been raised by a cop.  This, however, was the behavior that promoted my own abuse.  1 Timothy 2:2 says that we as followers of Jesus Christ should pray for everyone in authority over us.  That includes presidents, governors, bosses, and....yes, cops.  But I was cursing them; and naturally they were attacking me.  So, in the wake of the most recent national police brutality issue, I wonder is this the prevailing attitude that's promoting the violence?

When's the last time you prayed for a political leader you detest?  Or how many times do you lift your supervisor in prayer?  And do you pray for the police in your community?  You know, my people love to march and protest after a killing or beat down.  But what if we all marched to declare soundness, health, and peace for our government and police force?  Or do we not think prayer is that powerful and The Lord God can't move on the heart of a crooked, racist cop?  Maybe the collective hate comes from centuries of abuse; which is understandable.  Still, if we took the revised attitude of Jonah and prayed for our....uh....oppressors, we not only help them, but we help our young people who are rapidly dying.  After all, our mission is to support the Will of God that all men be saved, not just the ones we like.

Now, am I saying that police around the country who commit violent acts against citizens shouldn't be penalized to the fullest extent of the law?  Absolutely not.  Am I saying that something needs to be done about the prevailing racist and elitist attitude of the police?  Why, yes I am.  And the first step of that is honor.  Not because they're worthy of it, but because it's the faithful thing to do.  And trust me, people can march and post and say spoken word all they want.  But take it from me, the only thing that can stop evil wearing a police mask is the mighty, merciful, Hand of The Lord God.

Peace












No comments:

Post a Comment