Monday, May 23, 2011

It Aint Over 'Till You Finished

I met my business partner and friend arguing over the success of the Chicago White Sox and the New York Yankees while his sister (my girlfriend at the time) was recovering from heart surgery.  Right there in that hospital room, in front of their mother, aunts, and nurses, we debated (which is hardly a debate) on who was the better team while his sister attempted to motion to us to shut it up.  Even though his sister and I broke up a while later, her brother and I remained friends and we took on the challenge of encouraging children to be exceptional adults to lead an ever-changing Richmond.  I recall some of the times where we would hang out; watching sports with other friends of ours, playing spades, just being guys.  And during these times we would sometimes have conversations about entrepreneurial aspirations the had and that I figured made sense and would benefit the entire city, if not the world.  Yeah, we were the ones at those [insert pyramid scheme here] seminars thinking we could make some real money in weeks.  Of course that, and a bunch of other things we tried together and separately didn't work.  The reality was that there was me with a college education and him without one; and we were both reaching.

Eventually we settled down into what we do now, but I would dare say his trek to this point is one worth admiration.  My friend, eight years my elder, began his college career at a prestigious HBCU (Historical Black College or University) but succumbed to several of the challenges that attack college students.  Around the time he was blessed with his son he took what is commonly called the 'college tour', still without nailing down that bachelors.  Usually, this leads to one thing--dropping school for the work force.  He spent some time in Cleveland and then relocated back to Virginia, still a competitor in the rat race but with a little more maturity and experience to go with it.  He survived a failed marriage, the ongoing issues of being a responsible single father, and being black and educational-less in VA.  I can't say at what point he saw the light bulb go off, but he decided within himself to go back to school while opening up a business.  Last Saturday, I yelled through my cone-engineered program at my friend as he walked across the stage at the Siegal Center to receive his master's of business administration.  My homeboy went from the ranks scramblers to the elite of the business educated in America.

During that ceremony, I saw several men and women [seemingly] his age and wondered if there were some similar stories in that crowd.  More than likely there were, and I turned to my fiance' and looked at her and reflected on the toil and joy of her accomplishment--a master's of counseling education.  I then thought of my mother, who earned her master's of education degree while working and raising me.  Of course, my mother and fiance's accomplishments are commendable.  But I held my friend in high regard because I remember him starting from close to the edge.  You know my people--we love a come up story.

Today, I take my hat off to James Wallace, Jr., and all of the men and women who ran the race, stumbled and left the track, and then came back to the track and won the competition.  They have shown that a college education, or any goal, is not restrained by age, time, or even finances.  But it is developed and achieved through sheer determination and focus.  It's outstanding to see the high school graduate going to school and four (well these days five) years later getting that degree.  I'm sure most of us, particularly parents, would prefer it that way.  Yet there is much to be said about the individual who wakes up every morning to see an 'almost' in their mirror; and then with faith that only is supplied by God they change that 'almost' to a 'definite'.  I am truly inspired.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is never over until you decide you're finished.  Are you finished?

Peace   

No comments:

Post a Comment