Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Get Real This Time

Several African American media markets that I have given my attention to (Richmond Free Press, the Voice, black social media, etc.) are buzzing about the onslaught that the Republican party and its allies are giving the Democrats; or more specifically, President Barak Obama, over the ever present national debt situation.  For some reason, these writers, commentators, and others are appalled that the opposing political party would have the audacity to cultivate and magnify the current American financial crisis so it can be a rock-solid political platform against the incumbent president (of rival party status).  As if this tactic has never been used in politics on any level before, they can't believe that someone would bring up an issue that has secretly plagued the stability of "the greatest nation on earth" for decades when the white politicians never mentioned it; even as they were perpetuating the problem.  Therefore, because of the overwhelming prevalence of misguided opinions from very intelligent people, peep game...


November 2008 - The lovely sound of the furnace hummed in my Highland Park home as I rolled over to answer the phone.  On the other end was my girlfriend, filled with excitement.  She had just voted and represented her voice in black dominated eastern Henrico County; and she was amazed how she (and soon me too) was a part of such historic circumstances.  With her persistent persuasion methods she urged me to quickly get up and get dressed so I wouldn't deal with long lines.  She barley avoided the droves of voters, so I then got up, showered, threw on my black Rocawear jeans, black ACG boots, New York Black Sox jacket, skully and gloves, and stepped out into the brisk November air.  As I approached 5th Street Baptist I was instantly overjoyed at what my still-sleepy eyes captured.  HP, known around the city for dope and death, was now home to hundreds of people, young and old, determined to make a change.  I joined the line on the 3rd Avenue side and after breakfast (catered by she who is beautiful and mine) and two cold, rainy hours, I voted for our first African American president.  T. Jones, who has always believed that 'politics' is the American slang term for 'evil', actually cast a vote and [somewhat] meant it.

Plenty months later - Clowns are on my television bombing each other with insults that almost seem personal.  The issues of a relatively desperate American public don't seem to matter in their debates or commercials.  This idiocracy is clogging my programming, but I still understand that Obama was the show while the work is in the Senate.  I need there to be some unity in Washington so during my lunch break I head on back to 5th Baptist to keep the party going.  Interestingly enough, I walked right through the entrance of the church with ease--right on upstairs to how voting day in the hood usually looks; a couple senior citizens, the token dread talking about whatever seems right to him or her, and nearly empty booths.  I guess the party was over.

Can't get mad at the enemy for trying to beat you; you can only get mad at yourself for not being ready.  We all knew the debt was out there, but none of us bothered to ask Obama about it because, well, he was about to be the first black president--and who was going to mess that up?  Therefore, I know it's early, but it's not too early.  This go 'round let's not let the rapper's t-shirt tell us all we need to know about American politics.  Instead, stay informed with some very simple strategies:

1. Those that know how the system works, teach us who aren't so sure so we can understand that the President is not the answer.
2. Those who are just learning, stay abreast on the issues that mean the most to you.  Remember, don't think the Democrats care about what's going on where you are from.  Instead, get to know your local, city, and state representatives who may be Republican.
3. Keep God first in this.  Read 1 Samuel 8 to see what happened when Israel refused God so they could have a king.  Then think about our lovely democracy.
4. Their are only two ways to change the government: violence or voting.  I don't think anyone is trying to die over government these days so, as backwards as it is, vote.
5. Be prepared to be disappointed.  But be optimistic to keep fighting.

It ain't that hard my brothers and sisters...

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment