Tuesday, June 5, 2012

All Self Righteous....

One of the sports talk shows I listen to some mornings posed this pretty good thought provoking basketball question:  Who's the best player in this generation - Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?  Great one; and even as a Laker fan I honestly can't give the run away answer to Kobe just yet, because Tim Duncan is arguably one of the best forwards ever.  Still, asking your general sports fan may garner an answer based mostly on emotions.  Plenty people, for no basketball reason whatsoever, hate Kobe Bryant - so they may select Duncan by default.  But there are also those who don't like Tim Duncan because of his alleged squeaky clean image.  I actually was involved in a conversation with a few people who don't want the Spurs (Duncan's team) to win because he appears "do everything right."  I'm pretty sure I would want my four-time NBA champion power forward to do everything right.  I assume winning isn't as important as having a bad boy image.

The human race has for centuries been engrossed in a love affair with evil.  Constant media coverage (social and professional) appears to heighten the perception of this romance, and with several recent events the lovers are making determined stands.  On the other side of that, the individuals or groups who have decided to morally do the right thing are now moving to a point where they are socially (and increasingly politically) out casted.  It's almost as if the general public is insecure about it's short comings; and anyone who is celebrated for being clean must be slandered to prove they're just like the rest.  And if the mudslinging doesn't stick, then the separation is enacted.  Interestingly, this type of separation; where one's positive demeanor, wholesome speech, and.....wait for it.....manners, should be one of the first clear signals who the followers of Jesus are (1 Peter 2:9).  But when it boils down to it, we all want to sit at the cool table during lunch.
 
So we let a curse word slide every now and then to show the surrounding folk we're down-to-earth.  Or we gossip, dress sexually provocative or disrespectful, or drink enough to get tipsy (not drunk, because what Christian would have the nerve).  This isn't so much to impress others, but to make ourselves feel more comfortable with the rest of our world.  God forbid our friends would think we're weirdos and stop checking for us; regardless if we're a new creature in Christ or not.  Who wants to be all holier-than-thou anyway?

I'm not too certain on who the 'thou' is in that saying, but twice in the Word of God we are actually called to live as holy as possible (Leviticus 20:20, 1 Peter 1:16).  This means that while knowing fully we won't achieve perfection in this life, we should strive to it instead of making excuses when we consciously sin.  Now this thought isn't directed to those of us who are new to the faith; having difficulty shaking dirt off.  No, this is for the cats like me, who willingly wallowed in the same ol' filth because I was scared to be set aside, and more comfortable being evil.  I remember years ago when I was called to be a deacon at a former church; trying to slide away from some of my circle who were still very much in the thick of it.  One of my homies called me one day after not hearing from me in a while and said, "we livin' in sin too much for ya?"  He was joking and it was funny, but it also fueled my insecure feelings concerning my calling of just being a Christian.  So I assimilated; which pushed myself further away from my purpose in Christ.

So do you still do it like you did it because that's just how you are, or are you afraid that your closest will say you're all self-righteous?

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment