Monday, October 22, 2012

The Best Contract

In several Christian circles, variations (if not the literal statements) of Matthew 18:19 can be often heard; particularly in those branches loosely titled prosperity churches.  In this verse, Jesus Christ states "...if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by My Father in heaven."  Without doubt, this is pretty cool.  Still generally, while millions of us believe that a human being who claimed to be the Son of God came back to life after being executed, we don't all think the agreement this man talked about works.  As if resurrection is something that occurs daily, we often shun the possibility of being in full agreement with one another and instead opt out for compromise - the idea that suggests I'm not with you, but to reduce friction I'm with you.  Interestingly enough, the Bible never mentions the compromise ideal when discussing a pair or a group moving towards achievement.  I believe this is because compromise is minimally effective and has no place in the Kingdom of God; where success is maximized beyond mankinds' understanding.  Yet because of pride, many of us would rather deal with this low level of unity as opposed to living in the highest level Christ spoke of, which is agreement.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away I was a tremendous baseball player.  So tremendous that after attending a tryout for Major League Baseball's Kansas City Royals at age 15, I was invited back for further scouting.  My talents earned me a full baseball scholarship, but because of my view of the world at the time I decided not to take it.  This hurt my father deeply because after years of preparation, coaching, wins and losses, I was giving up the game both of us loved.  After this development, my mother felt it best that I go to another school that I selected.  After all, while baseball can possibly provide a lucrative future, education was first.  I'm sure the conversations about this between my parents were intense.  And I cannot put into words what my dad had to muster in order to agree fully with my mother to allow me to make the decision, but he did.  Through all of the frustrating years when my growth seemed stunted, my father maintained his position supporting my move though it was a heavy weight to bear.  He never criticized my mother for letting me do this, nor did he come back to me with a you should've listened to me attitude.  He, the head of the family, was walking in agreement with his wife.

Saturday, we celebrated my fathers' 60th birthday.  As family was around laughing and enjoying dinner, his happiness and pride was radiant throughout my childhood home.  His loving wife had orchestrated this wonderful gathering, and his only son was flanked by his wife; who are the next set of parents in our family.  In 2003 this appeared impossible.  But I'm certain because my father and mother agreed in prayer years ago that I would be safe, successful, and a lover of the Lord; they were given what they asked for by their Father in heaven.  Of course there was turbulance.  And it probably did seem like my dad let my mom make a poor choice in 1996, yet may father held on to trusting Christ's thoughts about agreement.  For that, I am thankful my parents were determined to live in the highest level of unity.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment